Using GIS in Postgres – Real World Examples of PostGIS
I have been a PostgreSQL Administrator since 2002 and have worked for the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center since 2008. Within Fred Hutch, I am the Principal Database Administrator for SCHARP, Statistical Center for HIV/AIDS Research and Prevention.
I host the Seattle Postgres Users Group where I give many of the presentations. I have many of the presentations posted at Lloyd's Presentations I am an organizer of PostgresConf.org the largest PostgreSQL conference in the US.
In this presentation we will go over basics of how to install and use PostGIS.
- Install Local Postgis / Cloud Solutions
- How to calculate distance between two Airports/Points/Locations using
- The old school math using the "Spherical Law of Cosines" and "Haversine" formulas.
- The new school PostGIS method of doing the same math for calculating the distance
- How to calculate flight time and cost between Airports/Points/Locations.
- Tiger Datasets (FREE)
- World Administrative Datasets (FREE)
- Natural Earth Hypsometric Tints (FREE)
- Google - Visual Representation of GIS data - Sample
- QGIS - Visual Representation of GIS data - Samples
- 45 min
- LinuxFest Northwest 2019
- Postgres Track