Common licensing issues for free software projects
Learn the most common mistakes developers make in regards to licensing their free software project
Donald is an attorney, and speaks on free software legal issues and activism. He handles licensing education & GPL compliance at the FSF. He resides in the Pacific Northwest. Previous speaking engagements:
- Seminar on GPL Enforcement and Legal Ethics https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/sign-up-for-the-fsfs-next-seminar-on-gpl-enforcement-and-legal-ethics-1
- History of Control: The Past and Future of Digital Restrictions Management, at Seagl 2017
- Respecting Freedom: Free software license compliance for hardware devices, at LinuxfestNW 2017 https://www.linuxfestnorthwest.org/2017/sessions/respecting-freedom-free-software-license-compliance-hardware-devices
- FSF: Volunteer Empire, Seagl 2016
- From TPP to saving WiFi, the FSF fights for you, at LinuxfestNW 2016 https://www.linuxfestnorthwest.org/2016/sessions/tpp-saving-wifi-fsf-fights-you
- Trading Freedom: The Threat of International "Trade" Agreements Like TPP, TTIP, and TISA, at SeaGL 2015 http://seagl.org/schedule/2015.html
- The Free Software Foundation Licensing & Compliance Lab; We Fight for the User, at LinuxFest Northwest 2015 http://linuxfestnorthwest.org/2015/sessions/free-software-foundation-licensing-compliance-lab-we-fight-user
- Seminar on GPL Enforcement and Legal Ethics 2014 https://www.fsf.org/events/seminar-on-gpl-enforcement-and-legal-ethics
In this introduction to free software licensing, we will cover the most common issues free software projects confront when it comes to licensing. At the Free Software Foundation's Licensing & Compliance Lab, we have many opportunities to help developers correct and update their licensing. Whether we're answering questions from the community, helping maintainers get their project listed in the Free Software Directory, or handling compliance issues on behalf of the GNU Project, we run across a wide variety of common mistakes and misunderstandings. In this brief session, we'll address these common problems as well as demonstrate the proper way to license your project.
Free software licenses ensure that everyone can share and enjoy your code, and this introductory session will get you started on making sure you use your license to properly.
- 45 min
- LinuxFest Northwest 2019