11 in 11
Eleven or so new things in Postgres 11
Software Developer, working with micro-startups & small teams to build niche software, typically database-backed desktop-style enterprise-oriented web apps running server-side in pure Java on the Vaadin framework.
Previously worked in long-term client engagements building in-house custom-crafted departmental database apps for cost accounting, business operations, and workflow.
Also spent a couple years as a trainer teaching software development (database, business logic, and user-interface) to developers both novice and expert in week-long seminars.
Hobbies include extreme dog-walking and welding bird-cages. And spending way too much time on Stack Overflow.
The current version of the Postgres database system is 11, released in late 2018 with over 150 new features.
Let’s take a look at about eleven of the more interesting features. Some big, some small, all useful.
- New & improved partitioning, smarter faster ways to divvy up your data on disk.
- More parallelization, to make more use of all those cores in your box.
INCLUDEclause when defining an index, so more queries can benefit from index-only scans.
- Just-in-Time (JIT) compilation of query plans, using modern LLVM technology, for faster access to your data
- WAL file size now configurable
- Run a transaction within your server-side code, with new
- SCRAM Authentication is even more secure.
- More SQL-standard window-functions.
ALTER TABLEmuch less likely to need a table re-write.
…and more found in the best Postgres ever.
- 45 min
- LinuxFest Northwest 2019
- Postgres Track